- include introduction text
- pragmatic approach; instead of trying to normalize and standardize each and every available field of all collections, OCD makes basic textual searching for objects across collections possible
- the goal is not to provide an exhaustive data mapping between collection, but to give a developer access to a simple API that provides all kinds of cultural heritage data.
- the API follows a common design (REST) and document format (JSON) known by many developers.
- on a per collection basis, more advanced questions can be asked
- for each indexed object, the original data can easily be accessed via the API. A developer can decided to parse the original data himself if he wants to obtain very specific data that is not directly incorporated in the indexed item.
- Data of different cultural heritage institutions is made searchable in a uniform manner.
- All original data is kept and remains accessible in it’s original form.
- When possible, references to the original item’s location (in the form of URLs) are included.
- A simple REST API to easily search, filter and retrieve items.